This week went by quick. Too quick. And for some, it’s a somber week with Maple Leaf’s announcement of 6 plants closing nationally in 2014 with 1,550 jobs to be lost, 460 of which are in Moncton. For some it’s a week of celebration with Irving Shipbuilding winning the $25-billion contract in Halifax creating an anticipated 11,500 additional local jobs. Coincidentally, these two headlines were both announced yesterday. I feel hopeful that as the latter promises to propel the Atlantic Canadian economy in the next few years, it also softens the difficult news of the former.
Of course this week would not be complete without sharing some of the fascinating reads I’ve had on my HR radar:
- Bizology 101 suggests 7 ways to maximize your mentoring experience.
- You’re Not the Boss of Me shares her 5 principles on team collaboration from her careful observations of Snowbirds.
- Wally Bock reminds us that leadership success is about doing the basics one step at a time.
- UpStartHR suggests 14 ways to assess the corporate culture of the company you’re considering working for and determine if it’s the right fit for you.
- Evil HR Lady unravels the secret language of salary negotations.
- Jason Lauritsen aptly observes that although HR controls nothing, we can influence.
- Dorothy Dalton says that having an online professional profile is a must in this day and age in her take on modern connectivity.